Accident Miles M.2 Hawk G-ACTD,
ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 203453
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Monday 31 August 1936
Type:Miles M.2 Hawk
Owner/operator:Robert King Clark
Registration: G-ACTD
MSN: 36
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 2
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:Carr Grange Farm, Common Road, Conisbrough, Doncaster, South Yorkshire -   United Kingdom
Phase: Approach
Departure airport:York Municipal Aerodrome, York, North Yorkshire
Destination airport:Doncaster Aerodrome, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
First registered (C of R 5083) 24.5.34 as G-ACTD to Captain G.R.D. Shaw, Sywell Aerodrome, Sywell, Northamptonshire. C of A 4361 issued 23.6.34. Sold on and re-registered (C of R 6030) on 2.7.35 to Kenneth Crawford, Murrayfield, Edinburgh (aircraft based at Macmerry, Lothian). Sold on in July or August 1936 (but not officially re-registered) to Robert King Clark, York Municipal Aerodrome, York, North Yorkshire.

Written off (damaged beyond repair) 31.8.36 when Spun on approach, Carr Grange Farm, Common Road, Conisbrough, Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Of the two persons on board, one was killed: 2nd Lt Henry Ninian Evelegh Frisby (passenger, aged 20) died 25.9.36 of injuries sustained. According to his obituary notice (see link #6):

"HENRY NINIAN EVELEGH FRISBY died on the 25th of September, 1936, from injuries received in an aeroplane accident at Doncaster on August 31st. He was in his 21st year, and had only recently been commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in The Manchester Regiment, stationed at Strensall".

2nd Lt Robert King Clark (pilot/owner) injured. According to his biography (see link #7):

"During July" [1936] "he learned to fly at York airport, and bought a Miles Hawk Gypsy III soon afterwards. On the 31st August he flew this aircraft from York to Doncaster. His friend, Second Lieutenant Henry Frisby went with him. As Rex landed the aircraft stalled and crashed. Rex suffered a concussion and 'some facial injury', but Henry was killed. As Rex put it in 1986: 'The crash was entirely my fault...and that's really all I feel I can say about it, even...half a century on'.

After the accident Rex was told by the Air Ministry accident investigator that he was not to blame, and given 3 months sick leave."

Registration G-ACTD cancelled by the Air Ministry 2.4.38 due to "destruction or permanent withdrawl from use of aircraft"



Revision history:

27-Dec-2017 16:30 Dr. John Smith Added
27-Dec-2017 19:52 Dr. John Smith Updated [Total fatalities, Total occupants, Location, Phase, Destination airport, Source, Narrative]
27-Dec-2017 23:09 Dr. John Smith Updated [Operator, Location, Departure airport, Source, Narrative]
29-Dec-2017 20:29 Dr. John Smith Updated [Narrative]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314