Accident Miles M.2 Hawk G-ACKI,
ASN logo
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 203029
This information is added by users of ASN. Neither ASN nor the Flight Safety Foundation are responsible for the completeness or correctness of this information. If you feel this information is incomplete or incorrect, you can submit corrected information.

Date:Saturday 25 August 1934
Type:Miles M.2 Hawk
Owner/operator:George Joseph Armstrong-Evans
Registration: G-ACKI
MSN: 11
Fatalities:Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 2
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Location:Morston Airfield, Blakeney, Norfolk, England -   United Kingdom
Phase: Approach
Departure airport:RAF Bircham Newton, Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Destination airport:Morston Airfield, Blakeney, Norfolk
Confidence Rating: Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
First registered (C of R 4457) 13.10.33 as G-ACKI to George Joseph Armstrong-Evans, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire (aircraft based at Woodley Aerodrome, Reading, Berkshire).

Written off (damaged beyond repair) 25.8.34 when crashed on approach to Morston Airfield, Blakeney, Norfolk. Pilot - Pilot Officer Peter Hilary Pomeroy Simonds (RAF) aged 24, killed. He had been posted on 28.8.33 to No.207 (Bomber) Squadron, Bircham Newton, from where the Miles M.2 Hawk took off. Passenger/owner George Joseph Armstrong-Evans injured. Simonds' funeral was held at Finchampstead at 3 pm on the 29.8.34.

The "Western Daily Press" of August 28th 1934 records the inquest into P/O Simonds’ death:

"A verdict that death was from injuries received through the accidental nose-diving of the aeroplane in which he was a passenger, was recorded yesterday at an inquest on R.A.F. Pilot Officer Peter Simonds, of Bircham Newton, who was killed at Morston, North Norfolk, on Saturday.

Simonds got into an aeroplane at Blakeney golf course to show a friend named Armstrong Evans, who had flown with another man from Wolverhampton, where to park his plane. The machine was preparing to land when it nose-dived from a height of 200 feet.

Evans is still seriously ill, and a doctor said he would take at least six weeks to recover."

Registration G-ACKI cancelled by the Air Ministry 7.12.34 due to "destruction or permanent withdrawl from use of aircraft"

NOTE: One source (see link #6) states that BOTH on board were killed. However, this is not separately corroborated by other sources. The above newspaper report would indicate the George Armstrong-Evans did not die, but eventually recovered from his injuries, by October 1934.



Revision history:

17-Dec-2017 00:54 Dr. John Smith Added
24-May-2018 21:00 Dr. John Smith Updated [Narrative]
26-Jun-2023 17:10 Nepa Updated [[Narrative]]

Corrections or additions? ... Edit this accident description

The Aviation Safety Network is an exclusive service provided by:
Quick Links:

CONNECT WITH US: FSF on social media FSF Facebook FSF Twitter FSF Youtube FSF LinkedIn FSF Instagram

©2024 Flight Safety Foundation

1920 Ballenger Av, 4th Fl.
Alexandria, Virginia 22314